It is currently 18 Nov 2017 04:18

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 05:42 

One job I really disliked when I was AB/OS was cleaning deep tanks especially if we’d carried some foul smelling liquid such as Palm Oil, that stuff was not only difficult to scrape-up it was also hard on the nose especially in the tropics; I have horrible memories of trying to clean a strum-box in a deep tank after Palm oil and even now it makes me angry when I think of the shi**y jobs we had to do. Does anyone else have memories of horrible jobs that drove us to distraction? :thumbsdown:

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 21:07 

Custom: Mr B&Q
Cleaning steam winch beds after several weeks down the S. American coast, homeward bound was spruce up the ship time, so when it came to paint up it was always us middies got the job of cleaning the winch beds prior to painting, after the dockers had abused them for weeks with fag and cigar ends, stale food amongst the oil and grease, gobbbing everywhere, I even saw one guy stood there taking a p**s while operating the winch, I know we washed down first, but it was still a bloody awfull job, look back and laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny at the time. :lol:

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 01:46 

nautibuoy42 wrote:
Cleaning steam winch beds after several weeks down the S. American coast, homeward bound was spruce up the ship time, so when it came to paint up it was always us middies got the job of cleaning the winch beds prior to painting, after the dockers had abused them for weeks with fag and cigar ends, stale food amongst the oil and grease, gobbbing everywhere, I even saw one guy stood there taking a p**s while operating the winch, I know we washed down first, but it was still a bloody awfull job, look back and laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny at the time. :lol:

I well remember winch beds especially with the old steam winches, the job of cleaning them prior to painting was given to deck-boys or Cadets who were renown for being exploited; I was on the Baron Maclay and we had some good cadets on her but one of them had a tendency to fraternise too much with the deck-crowd and when we got to Australia he was transferred to another homeward bound Baron Boat and sacked, it was a bloody scandal, it was disgusting the way in which some of those Middies were exploited.
I recall on one ship when I was deckboy my first job in the morning, when working hatches or derricks, was to go round the deck and bleed all the water off the steam winches; those old winches made a memorable clanging and banging when in port working cargo it was a cacophony of sound, a musical symphony in my memories. :thumbsupp: ;)

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009 12:40 

I agree that cleaning winch beds and painting winches was a horrible job, allthough using cotton waste as wads rather than brushes and dogs legs did speed up the process, on the PSNC ships that I sailed on winch painting was done by the down below crowd, ( a breed of lads conspicious by their absence on this site, ) they used to drag the job out so as to enjoy the sun and fresh air. -- I wonder where they have all gone to ?, surely everyone of them can't be cleaning scavenges in the sky. stan.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]