CHATHAM Aug60 working by
CONSTABLE Aug60-Apr61 5 trips
SIDDONS May61-Apr62 New York based
EGRET Jun63-Dec63
ARDETTA Jan64-Feb64

Inshore trawling 1991/95

Post subject: Re: My Ships
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 10:53 

Nautibuoy besides the Devis I also sailed on the Egret around 64 from the Queens dock to the continent and back, small world. Ernie.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 14:48 

I was also on the Egret from 04 - 01 - 1963, until 08 - 04 -1963, I remember it being a very cold winter and the river up to Rotterdam was frozen, they were 10 day trips and as I lived out of town I was the night watchman while the ship was docked in Liverpool and spent most of the time in the Devils, ie, The Coburg Dock Hotel, It was a good number for me, as I used to get my 4 hours a day overtime and pi**d every night, also I used to light the galley stove in the morning and start cooking the breakfast for when the cook and the rest of lads came off the No 1 bus, it saved the cook leaving home early, and if I remember right the only other person who slept aboard in Liverpool was a ginger bearded second engineer and as he was always pi**d as well we did a good job of looking after the ship between the two of us, -- what magical days. stan.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 19:14 

Custom: Mr B&Q
stanmass wrote:
I was also on the Egret from 04 - 01 - 1963, until 08 - 04 -1963, I remember it being a very cold winter and the river up to Rotterdam was frozen, they were 10 day trips and as I lived out of town I was the night watchman while the ship was docked in Liverpool and spent most of the time in the Devils, ie, The Coburg Dock Hotel, It was a good number for me, as I used to get my 4 hours a day overtime and pi**d every night, also I used to light the galley stove in the morning and start cooking the breakfast for when the cook and the rest of lads came off the No 1 bus, it saved the cook leaving home early, and if I remember right the only other person who slept aboard in Liverpool was a ginger bearded second engineer and as he was always pi**d as well we did a good job of looking after the ship between the two of us, -- what magical days. stan.

Remember it well, Stan, I was 3rd Mate on her, the old man was Cpt Cowie, the Mate was called Beeman, I think, and the 2nd Mate was a Dane called Nielsen (Niel) the 2nd Eng you are reffering to, I think was Joe Whelan. I was always going up to the Devils or the Angels looking for the crowd prior to sailing, always made sure I had a few wets myself though! Great times, Cheers, Glyn.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 03:15 

stanmass wrote:

Now that sounds like a good crowd Stan, typical of the behavior of many a crew and that's what made the life so appealing,
God! I wish I was still doing it!

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 08:24 

You are right Glyn it was Captain Cowie, he was a great character, when on the way round to Rotterdam he used to take the ship as close as possible to shore of a small seaside town on the Isle of Wight, I think the place was called Niton, we were that close we could see people waving to us off the beach, then it was hard a starboard and on our way, then he would always turn to the man on wheel and say, " that will make the swimmers p**s in the water ", he was well aware of what went on when the ship was in Liverpool because after the dockers had gone I would have a good look around, check the mooring ropes and gangway, then mosey off to the Devils, and quite often Kay or Arthur who ran the place would say there's a pint in the bank for you and Joe Whelan off the old man, also the cook used to leave a pan of scouse every night for us two sleep aboards coming back from the alehouse, the copper on the gate would walk back with us for a bowl and I used to give him a couple of eggs and some bacon so he could cook his breakfast in his gate house, that way there never any need for baggage passes or searches for anybody off the ship, I sailed with Neill a few years later on the Moss Huchisson ship Kantara, he was 2nd Mate on her as well, While on the Egret he used to court one of the barmaids from the Devils and by then they had married. It was a very happy ship with a good crowd Tony, and I would have stay'd on her much longer only I had to leave due to a family bereavement, but I think that was the way them days, we never looked back we just moved on in another direction, and just like you, I wish I was still doing it, -- I apologise for being long winded but sometimes nostalgia gets hold of me. stan

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009 07:57 

Yes you are right, it was a nice change to a foreign voyage, the appeal of the Egret was, especially to any of the lads with a young family was we were only away for 10 days then we were in Liverpool for 5 days and as we were on 6 monthly articles we were'nt paid off but continued working as you would in any other port, this meant that the lads could go home every night to their families, it was seen at the time to be the nearest thing to a shore job while still being at sea and of course the allotments were still being paid, As I was livng in N Wales and living on board it meant that I could do the night watchmans job and the rest of the lads could go home, as I was young and foolish at the the time this arrangement suited me down to a T, It is also worth mentioning that I was often invited to the homes of my shipmates for a meal, such was the friendly ways of everyone aboard. stan.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009 20:06 

Ernie wrote:
Nautibuoy besides the Devis I also sailed on the Egret around 64 from the Queens dock to the continent and back, small world. Ernie.

Aye Aye Ernie, when were you on the DEVIS? Glyn.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 19:51 

Hi Samsette,No, I haven't seen this one, before my time, it was this one. Glyn.Image

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 17:54 

Glyn I was on the Devis 30-8-58 to 18-12-58,stayed home that Christmas. McNeil was the skipper alias Black mac. cheers Ernie.

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 17:57 

Glyn thats the Egret I was on. Ernie.

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 19:56 

Ernie wrote:
Glyn I was on the Devis 30-8-58 to 18-12-58,stayed home that Christmas. McNeil was the skipper alias Black mac. cheers Ernie.

I was on her that trip, Ernie, I was a cadet, my mate was called Eric from L/Pool. The Mate was Ronnie Brownbill. Memories of Brazil & BA, some great shore runs. Cheers, Glyn. 8-)

ps Do you recognise anyone in the pic?Image

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 07:22 

Great photo that Glyn, I recognise a couple of faces but can't recall any names, and the Lamport and Holt run was a fantastic run ashore,the share holders of penicillin had their coffers well boosted due to that run. On a more sombre note I read on one of the sites that ex L+H bosun Tony Farley passed away a few weeks back aged 83, apparently he was a marine before being a seaman, I did a couple of trips with him on the Rossetti, he was a great guy and a fantastic seaman who was always keen on teaching us young lads the correct way to do things.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 09:01 

This is a great thread, a really interesting account of how it used to be. I do believe one of the cadets off the Delius was transferred to a homeward bound company ship for being too friendly with the deck crew, that was in March '53, I've forgotten who the skipper was was? :D but I don't think he was a baddie?

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 10:55 

Glyn I cant really remember, but I think the guy on the far left was Jimmy Cullen from the south end of Liverpool,cheers Ernie.

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 11:09 

Tony I can remember the first time I was on the Devis in Rio, the Queensbury tied up astern of us, I knew most of the crowd some came aboard to see me and Black Mac chased them off the ship, he shouted from the boatdeck this is my ship get off and see him at five oclock, he even gave me a seven oclock razor blade because we carried two passengers at the time, a right nut of a Skipper,Ernie.

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 11:28 
Site Admin

tonydw wrote:
This is a great thread, a really interesting account of how it used to be. I do believe one of the cadets off the Delius was transferred to a homeward bound company ship for being too friendly with the deck crew, that was

your right tony, it is an interesting thread. you think it could be as popular as neighbours or home and away? ;)

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 12:17 

stanmass wrote:
You are right Glyn it was Captain Cowie, he was a great character, when on the way round to Rotterdam he used to take the ship as close as possible to shore of a small seaside town on the Isle of Wight, I think the place was called Niton, we were that close we could see people waving to us off the beach, then it was hard a starboard and on our way, then he would always turn to the man on wheel and say, " that will make the swimmers p**s in the water ", he was well aware of what went on when the ship was in Liverpool because after the dockers had gone I would have a good look around, check the mooring ropes and gangway, then mosey off to the Devils, and quite often Kay or Arthur who ran the place would say there's a pint in the bank for you and Joe Whelan off the old man, also the cook used to leave a pan of scouse every night for us two sleep aboards coming back from the alehouse, the copper on the gate would walk back with us for a bowl and I used to give him a couple of eggs and some bacon so he could cook his breakfast in his gate house, that way there never any need for baggage passes or searches for anybody off the ship, I sailed with Neill a few years later on the Moss Huchisson ship Kantara, he was 2nd Mate on her as well, While on the Egret he used to court one of the barmaids from the Devils and by then they had married. It was a very happy ship with a good crowd Tony, and I would have stay'd on her much longer only I had to leave due to a family bereavement, but I think that was the way them days, we never looked back we just moved on in another direction, and just like you, I wish I was still doing it, -- I apologise for being long winded but sometimes nostalgia gets hold of me. stan

Aye Aye Stan, Regard your comments on Cpt Cowie, I remember my first trip on the EGRET, on my watch one morning approaching the I of W, the old man came on the bridge and said, bring her round to port, so I told the guy on the whheel to give her some port helm, next minute I thought, christ we're going to run into St Catherines Point, then he told me that he had spent many happy holidays there, after tooting the whistle a couple of times we veered off on our way to Amsterdam, apart from scaring a few swimmers, it put the wind up me. :shock: Glyn.

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009 12:50 

That happened on the Rubens as well Tony, a cadet was sent home for apparently being to friendly, but I thought at the time that there was more to it than that, the old mans name was Spooner on that occasion, I heard in later years that Cpt Spooner was involved in a car accident I think it was in Tenerife, the unfortunate man apparently died from his injuries, I never found out if he was there on one of the ships of L+H, or was he,there on holiday. stan.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]