It is currently 24 Nov 2017 16:17

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: MacAndrew Line
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009 17:24 

Did any of you lads ever sail on any of the MacAndrew boats,? I did two voyages on the Villegas in the early 60s on the Palma and Barcelona run, quite a handy easy to work ship ( deckwise) and also the med ports made it a pleasant run (going ashore on the p**s wise) but I left after two trips because I did'nt go much on the 4 on 4 off watch system with no iron mike, you seemed to be forever on the wheel although I was'nt to bothered about the watch about system on the UK coast when we were in and out of port , but the run to Barsa seemed to drag.

Post subject: Re: MacAndrew Line
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010 10:52 

stanmass wrote:
Did any of you lads ever sail on any of the MacAndrew boats,? I did two voyages on the Villegas in the early 60s on the Palma and Barcelona run, quite a handy easy to work ship ( deckwise) and also the med ports made it a pleasant run (going ashore on the p**s wise) but I left after two trips because I did'nt go much on the 4 on 4 off watch system with no iron mike, you seemed to be forever on the wheel although I was'nt to bothered about the watch about system on the UK coast when we were in and out of port , but the run to Barsa seemed to drag.

Hi Stan.
Saw the Welsh Flag,so I thought that I would drop
you a line,"Taff to Taff" so to speak.I live in Llanelli,
went to the Vindi way back in Nov/Dec 1952,then to
sea until 1959,sailing mostly out from Swansea on BP
tankers,but did do a few trips out from Tilbury and
Southampton on the "big boats",was in catering and
ended as second steward,only came ashore to get
married and missed my chance for Chief Stewards job.
Ended my days at sea working for the Australind Shipping Co,
they owned the Australind,Ashburton,Ajana,one other but
cant remember her name,great company to work for.
Whats your story?

David Williams(R583900) :geek:

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010 22:47 

stanmass wrote:

Hi Stan.I am replying to your request,RE.Mac Andrew Line. I too sailed with them and they were in my view the best company out of L,Pool.If its any consolation we did 4on.4ff.all the way to Genoa(10Days)nackered first run ashore.then us ABs worked our watch below.so 4-8 did two stints,that was on the Verdigeur,and Villeagas.However the bigger boats namely.Vargas.Valdes,etc were 4.on 8 off.bit easier.I was on them also in the 1960s.One of the best "Old Mans" was a Captain Merrino.He always got us into Barcelona on time despite lots of ships waiting for a berth.He was from Spain and worked his way up from an A.B.He Married a L.Pool lass.He settled in Heswall.then moved to Crosby.He is now passed away 2 years ago.NICE MAN.Another AB with me was Manuel Sanchez fromthe south end,loved his vino from a peron.Yes a peron!! that was a leather gut with a tip on and you tipped it into mouth carefull not to spill any!! when we were in Valencia a wine merchant would come down to the ship.We all used to get a Demijohn 3litres of wine and 2litres of brandy in it.The Bosun called it Sneaky Pete for obvious reasons.Yes I could go on and on about. the happy days on the Spanish/Iti,Runs On the Quay painting ships side white paint then smoko" go to the deigo bar alongside for cuba libres and also lunch as well only to go back on the ship for more paint.HAPPY DAYS INDEED!!Does any one remember the Ramblers? Perhaps thats another story.Must GO.Barcelona Bill. :lmao:

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011 14:27 

I was on the Vives a 1200 ton ship doing the spanish coast up too Barcelona , a great little ship until we ran into a hurricane passing Gibraltar and into the atlantic and Bay of Biscay Wow what a storm ,I thought we had had it got of her after that and went back on the Liners :holycow:

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011 20:48 

hi lads
i sailed on the vargas in the sixties mostly out of butlers wharf did a couple
of trips to med

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011 03:22 

dave williams,you must of just came out the vindi gate while i was just arriving there.
i was there 15-12-52 to 6-2-53 catering,
i was only on one tanker in my 11 years at sea,that was the british peer in 54.
also one of your company the ashburton.was suppost to sign on another
trinder anderson ship in liverpool docks,the ajana or the araluen,
but i declined,
also on one of the macs,the pinto for 6 months,nice run to the med
and agreat little ship.
see you was out of southhampton as well,twice i was sent up there from the
liverpool pool,to the QE and the athlone castle,not keen on the mushers
never went back up there.

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012 04:52 

rob wrote:
hi lads
i sailed on the vargas in the sixties mostly out of butlers wharf did a couple
of trips to med

Hi Rob,
I sailed as Lecky, on the Vargas, firstly a 6 month stint in 1963, and secondly a 6 month stint in 1969. Great ship, great company.

I remember Len Stott being chief Engineer on both occasions, also guys like Brian Hattersley, Alan Forster, John Mackie, and numerous others, all great people.

I remember a fourth Engineer, Mike Jones, when we built a canoe out of dunnage. ( are you out there Mike ..? )

We had a rather disastrous launch in Barcelona harbour, when we managed to turn it over.

We were rescued by one of the harbour tugs.

The deck officers were a great crowd too, Captains Merrino, Feldgate, McKinlay, & John More, stand out in memory.

All in all, an extremely happy time, great ship, great people, and great company.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me...!!

All the best.

Norm.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013 11:00 

Hi Lads
I sailed withMcAndrews,(Merry Macs Maniacs) on the Vargas and also Cherrucca as 4th Eng. One of the Captains was Marino,reputedly brother of Mike Marino the wrestler. A real poser. Chief Engineer Len Stott I recall a along with his replacement ,Strong?
Sailed out of Butlers wharf,Portsmouth and the London wood dock. On the Vargas ,3rd engineer Alan Vardar ,4thEng Dave somthing from Crewe,and I sailed 5th . Leccy Norm Bourne.We did the Med.,Gib ,Spanish coast Potugal and home every 2 weeks .Great life.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013 10:21 

Hi lads,
In 1969, I remember the second engineer was Alan Forster, a Geordie, I can't remember the 4th. Engineer ...? I remember you Dave ..! I agree, it was a great life.
I have many fond memories.

Norm. Bourne (lecky)

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013 14:53 
Site Admin

how is it when you see shipmates of old?

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013 11:46 

I agree with you "tomrca" All credit to this site for bringing old ship mates together from the days when we did have a proper M.N. Stan has opened a good can of "Plum Duff" Bill.

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013 22:04 

Pleasently surprised that so many of you lads sailed on the Macandrew boats, my recollection was that they very seldom appeared on the board at the pool probably because of the short trips and plenty of overtime due to the the 4 on 4 off watch system, the company had a good name and were classed as some of the best jobs out of Liverpool at the time, I know I was made up when Charlie Repp offered me the Villegas the hilight of my time on her was while in Palma loading new potatoes the dockers went on strike for 12 days so we had a whale of a time there, funny enough the well thought of Captain Merino was the old man during my 2 voyages on her. stan.

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013 18:35 

Custom: cutty sarks expert
Re. VARGAS...
"POOR FRANK MERINO DIED QUITE YOUNG FROM A BRAIN TUMOR. MCKINLEY WAS A HEAD CASE WHO EMPTIED AT LEAST TWO BOTTLES OF GIN A DAY BUT HAD A CERTAIN PERVERTED CHARM.CLIFF FELGATE WAS A WORKAHOLIC WHO TOOK SHIP'S MEDICAL LOCKER TONIC TABLETS CONTAINING STRYCHNINE AND RUINED HIS HEALTH POOR SOUL. LEN STOTT, THE CHIEF ENGINEER, WAS OBSESSED WITH HIS WEIGHT AND I HAD TO ASSIST HIM DAILY WITH HIS WEIGHING SCALES THAT FUNCTIONED ERATICALY DUE TO THE MOTION OF THE SHIP;
HAPPY DAYS INDEED.
JOHN MOIR."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Atholl on 20 Jul 2013 20:31, edited 3 times in total.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013 18:58 

MV Vargas...
Ships cat, a black kitten taken from a pub in Valencia, was taken by John Moir home to Scotland, where he lived a long life, and loved the smell of an olive wood tankard, the scent of the wood reminding him of home...he would roll on the floor, licking the olive wood. He was duly named Vargas.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Atholl on 20 Jul 2013 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

My little gallery collection
https://www.facebook.com/cuttysarkgreenwich

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013 19:41 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
;wel2 John. nice to see that you've found some old ship mates. :thumbsupp: :thumbsupp:

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013 07:41 
Site Admin

that's a great first couple of post with pics for us atholl. love the story about your cat

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013 20:04 

John Moir bought a little budgie in Sheerness, and named it after his current ship MV Palomares, a companion for the journey...Palomares too was eventually taken home to Scotland, where HE turned out to be a SHE, quickly using her beak to make a hole in the cage's wooden floor, and laying sadly infertile little eggs in the dust cover. Every day the cage was opened, and despite the number of cats in the kitchen, encluding Vargas, she would fly out the kitchen door, making a sharp 90 degree turn down a hall and some steep steps and spend the day in the safety of the cellar, lit by a floor level arched window. Well trained in navigation from her days with MacAndrews.

My little gallery collection
https://www.facebook.com/cuttysarkgreenwich

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013 13:51 
Site Admin

Now that is a risky existance for a bird, I'll bet she often lost a few tail feathers

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013 08:39 
Site Admin

i missed the image of the cat Here

i've seen grown men roll over licking an empty tankard :drunk2:

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]