m.v.mishnish.
m.v.piako.
m.v.strathdevon.
r.m.s.windsor castle.
rms/cambria.
ro/ro/.duke of rothersay.
m.v. container enterprise.
m.v.cathrine B
was a peanut gravesend late sixties dorm port chalmers deck crew. wheel amidships 1980.
lngest trip m.v.eucadia 12 months, caught up in india/pakistan war"suez crisis supplying british armed forces, hence the vets badge.
last trip four years building the model titanic {thats how long it took me.

Last edited by islandmann on 10 Mar 2009 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: MY SINS
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009 21:38 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Notice that you have chosen the blue duster for the flag on the Titanic.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009 21:59 

Custom: The Quizz Master
Les wrote:
Notice that you have chosen the blue duster for the flag on the Titanic.
he was very proud capt smith of his royal navy past im sticking with the blue duster :roll:

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 02:23 

hi islandman,what year did you sail on the kano palm,the reason i am asking is our kid ron mcwilliams was an AB and he died on board that ship and buried ashore on the coast there in 1972..

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 13:55 

liverbob wrote:
hi islandman,what year did you sail on the kano palm,the reason i am asking is our kid ron mcwilliams was an AB and he died on board that ship and buried ashore on the coast there in 1972..
hi bob it was 73 the bosun you will no doubt know was jimmy turtin wether he was in the kano palm then mate i not sure.sad to here of your sad loss belated condolences.dont know wether you are aware but jimmy turtin also died just after paying off the kano palm.dropped dead at the foot of the gangway.also new his brother ernie he worked in the shore gang for i think harrisons he passed back in 1980.quick tale about jimmy turtin he was second bosun aboard the empress of canada in 1970 when i was with him,he was the only guy i saw square up ;) to the mighty martin quinn. never took no bull jimmy he was a mans man.bob does the name stan devall ring any bells he was bosun out of lpool for years.known as stan the man will explain more if anyone comes up with the fact they new or sailed with him regards bob islandmann

Last edited by islandmann on 16 Mar 2009 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 15:20 

Liver Bob, you would"nt be John McWilliam by any chance if you are I was at the Vindi with you. I joined the Apapa as deckboy, Ronnie was OS on it, I sailed with him on the Cuzco and the Akassa Palm a few years later, great shipmate.I was on the Kano Palm with Jimmy Turton, Ronnie must have joined after I had left. I visited Ronnies grave when we docked at Freetown on the Lagos Palm,it is well looked after, the local convicts were always weeding and cleaning up.

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 15:26 

Terry I sailed with Stan the man on the Oswestry Grange, great brain picker. I was told he topped himself, not sure if its true or not. I hope its untrue although I havent seen him for years.Ernie.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009 00:50 

Ernie wrote:
Terry I sailed with Stan the man on the Oswestry Grange, great brain picker. I was told he topped himself, not sure if its true or not. I hope its untrue although I havent seen him for years.Ernie.
ernie my good friend he lived across the road from me way back in the mid 70:s i used to enjoy a pint with him many a time in the saeaforth/bootle area sorry to inform you mate it is true. will never forget the day i was lying out on my mams step in ash grove seaforth my mams old house i was on leave stan had finished with the sea.we all seem to think he new more than he let on.he passed me about 12 noon in the st.i shouted to him hs reply was fancy a quick one in the castle seaforth pub.no thanks stan will await till later.it must have been 3 pm that same day his misses come home her name was mertyle as you may know she was a yarpie,anyway the screams were unmerciful from there house,the only other lad in the street was a good mate of mine freddie prudent,his brother john was in the welsh navy.we both ran across and found the poor guy hanging there well gone the rest doesntmatter.other than he was a real bosun looked after his lads as you know the crew or deck crew come before himself although i never sailed with him ernie i have been told a lot of great tales about him i believe he walked off one ship over pay with the deck crew and was put in jail somewhere in south america for mutiny.thats the kind of guy he was a true gent sorry to be the bearer of sad news ernie the guys gone, but will never be forgotten regards mate terry.p.s his misses mertyle only passed over, last xmas she stayed in the same house on her own all them years.i used to go and see her from time to time but her health failed not long back.she must have been 90 yrs old if not more had many a good drink in stans house when he docked a great bloke very much missed terry.i have a photograph of him somewhere here ernie will dig it out and post.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009 02:15 

hi ernie,ron and john mcwilliams are my cousins,ron was my best buddy we were at the vindi together in 52/53,i see john every time i go to the uk, he is still okay and lives in birkenhead.the had another brother he sailed with harrisons,3rd engineer 52 to57.we used to take the p**s out of him called him toffee nose but he was a great guy too.he had to be we were all LFC supporters.

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009 11:16 

Nice to hear John is still around, we are all getting on, although it only seems like yesterday that we were at the Vindi, John was a bit of a toffee nose, he got a bosuns armband and used to give us orders :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]