Alcinous aug 59 to nov 59
Sycamore dec 59 to april 60 (2 trips )
Sekondi may 60 to aug 60
Chicanoa oct 60 to dec 60 (2 trips)
Salaverry june 61 to oct 61
Potosi nov 61 mar 62
Phrygia april 62 to july 62 (2 trips)
Esso Brixham july 62 to sep 62
Esso Ottawa sep 62 to jan 64 (around the coast )
And came ashore :D

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009 03:52 

hi buster ,i see we were on the salinas the same trip,15-12-56 to the18-3-57, i did quite a few trips with psnc,0ne more on the salinas 1960.salaverry 54,two on the flamenco 56 and 10 days on the r del pacifico 57,good trips and crews.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009 20:14 
Hi Liverbob
I was on deck dept JOS where you on deck, i see by your user name you may be from the pool
I am from l/pool myself and sailed out of the pool, like you i enjoyed P.S.N.C but the best ship
I was in whithout a dowt was Royal Mails THESSALY 5 trips great days if only ! if only ! regards B

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009 13:43 

Buster - I was Senior Cadet on the Sekondi that trip in 1960. Don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember the Old Man was "ba**ard Jack" Everall.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009 03:24 

Roger wrote:
Buster - I was Senior Cadet on the Sekondi that trip in 1960. Don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember the Old Man was "ba**ard Jack" Everall.

It's a funny thing, but the other day something reminded me of that Sekondi trip and in a way it was somewhat eventful.

To begin with, an engineroom hand went berserk somewhere down on the coast - too much Tombo perhaps - and attacked the Chief Engineer one evening. We were in port, and I don't remember where, but hearing the noise the Mate and a couple of others subdued the guy and shut him in a locker until we sailed the next day - they reasoned that was less bother than sending for the shore police. We all kept quiet about it until we'd left port and were at sea then he was let out and apparently behaved himself from then on. I don't remember any repercussions, but I doubt he got a good discharge, a DR most likely.

The other thing I rmember also involved the Chief Mate, a chap called, I think, Les Eales. If I remember correctly he later drowned off another ED boat, the Degema, when logs stowed on deck started to break loose, he went to supervise their re-lashing and got swept overboard.
Anyway, on the Sekondi on the homeward voyage we had an attractive lady passenger, a married woman whose husband was coming home later. As was normal on those trips, we cadets were helping out with the painting and so on, under instruction from the Mate. Early afternoon one day, we were for some reason unable to do what he had asked, so I went to see him to suggest an alternative. His cabin door was shut, but I could hear noises so knocked and entered. I didn't stay long because the noises were he and the lady passenger indulging in parlour games - they were trying to inflate each other as I remember. At least, they each had their mouths on the other's anatomy in very personal places! Later that evening he asked me to say nothing about the incident, so I didn't, and come to think of it, haven't until now. He knew that my current girlfriend worked in ED's Head Office, you see. But it was 49 years ago and the chap's long dead so I don't suppose he'll mind too much! It's not as though Head Office will give him any trouble now, is it?

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009 05:47 

A great yarn Roger, I could tell another risqué incident that occurred on the Apapa but I'm sure the possibility of the chap still being around is a real probability. :D To whet your appetite this fellow was hanging over the side on a gantline, the ship was at full speed homeward bound. :o :D :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]