It is currently 18 Nov 2017 04:16

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anchor work
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 04 May 2013 07:39 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
Seeing Les's post on sleeping next to the spurling pipe when dropping the hook. Has anybody ever had to go in the chain locker and manually stow the chain?. I can only remember doing it once and that was on the coaster Jubilance (london & Rochester trading Co) What a dirty thankless job, the chain locker was just a sealed off compartment with steel walls about 3feet high and you had to lean over this wall, which after a few mins seemed to cut you in half. you used a chain hook which was the name for a fancy bit of bent steel rod and hooked it into the chain links. Pulling and puffing as you arranged the chain in nice fancy coils whilst all the time getting covered in smelly slimy estuary mud and not getting the chain hook snarled up which meant they had to reverse the winch until you could recover your hook, yuk i hated that job and it always seemed to be me that got it, something to do with the east coast agreement. The last time i did it i though thats it, it can coil itself after getting my hook caught several times due to the speed it was coming in at and i was getting a load of s8 off the crew and the chain.With that i gave them my notice to quit. Ive often wondered if they received a nasty shock when they next dropped the hook and a ruddy great knot of chain tried to go up the spurling pipe. :wasntme: :clap:

Post subject: Re: Anchor work
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 04 May 2013 22:33 

Done it on the Johnathan Holt down the West coast, we got more than mud, the Kroo boys used the Hawse pipe as a bog house. Ernie.

Post subject: Re: Anchor work
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 05 May 2013 07:33 
Site Admin

chain locker is a horrible cold and dirty job to do. we slipped anchor in the channel and used two white painted stages to mark the spot with a couple of raised paint tins to reflect radar. this was the old man's chance to drain, clean and paint.

hated it!!

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]