Crestville
Delius
Lagos Palm
Dunedin Star
Apapa
Adelaide Star
Empire Star
Baron Maclay

The rest of my career at sea was in Australia, retired in 1999.
From the late 70's to when I retired was on the bridge, finished up master but the best memories of my sea career was on those British ships.

Cheers.

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009 22:37 

Tony I was on three of those ships, the Apapa, Crestville and Lagos Palm. I like the smilie with the Penfolds, Ive still got a bottle unopened, hope its still ok. Ernie.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 01:03 

Hi Ernie, I was on the Lagos Palm in in Ausgust 53, shared a cabin with Johnny Campbell, the poor bugger came down with Malaria; on the Apapa in January '57, Alf jones was bosun, antother AB was Frank Quinn a cousin of Martin ... a few months later I jumped the Adelaide Star at Brisbane and I've been here ever since. :D
Ernie,Penfolds now produce some of the most expensive wine in Australia, Grange Hermitage brand; what vintage is your bottle, could be worth a few thousand by now.
Read this link : http://www.australianfinewines.com/peop ... /index.htm

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 01:58 

Ernie,
People keeping unopened bottles of wine? I had read about it but thought it was only a myth! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 13:11 

Drank plenty of bottles and demijohns of penfolds, the one Ive got now is 1974, Ive kept it up to now as a memento of Aus, it might be poison now I dont know, I might try it on my drinking buddies. :lol: :lol: ;)

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 22:37 

Seriousley Ernie I would check the vintage before I open the bottle of '78, some Penfolds wines, especially good vintage, are worth thousands of dollars now. I am no wine expert but it costs nothing to check online, the following link is the Penfold's website:
http://www.penfolds.com/Default.asp
Dont forget to tick the box that says you are a legal in drinker in your part of the world. :D

Post subject: Re: CWS Progress
Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 23:20 

Empress of Scotland to CWS Progress. That was a big leap Tony. I vaguely remember the Progress, didn't she run from Manchester/Liverpool to Rouen?

I remember the Scotland as well, used to see her in the Gladstone Dock when I was in Blue Funnel and then years later in Montreal when I was with Manchester Liners.

Happy days............Alec.

Post subject: Re: CWS Progress
Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009 09:38 

Trader wrote:
Empress of Scotland to CWS Progress. That was a big leap Tony. I vaguely remember the Progress, didn't she run from Manchester/Liverpool to Rouen?

I remember the Scotland as well, used to see her in the Gladstone Dock when I was in Blue Funnel and then years later in Montreal when I was with Manchester Liners.

Happy days............Alec.

You are not wrong Alec, the Progress was quite a shock after the big white Empress of Scotland. Captain Hollingsworth was also a bit of a shock to a lad new to the game. Did you ever come across a Larry Cope (Ch/ Steward) when you were with Blue Flue?

The CWS ProgressImage

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009 11:08 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Bloody hell I bet your heart stopped for a while when you first sighted her. I know mine did when I was sent to join the Esso Chelsea. An oiler that plied between the power stations on the Thames. Signed on had to give five days notice which I did as I was signing on. Needed to clear my book at the time if that explains it to anyone interested as to the why. Though I will admit that given the chance today I would be there with bells on to sign on her. As Ned Kelly said "such is life". Les

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009 01:53 

Ringbolt wrote:
Bloody hell I bet your heart stopped for a while when you first sighted her. I know mine did when I was sent to join the Esso Chelsea. An oiler that plied between the power stations on the Thames. Signed on had to give five days notice which I did as I was signing on. Needed to clear my book at the time if that explains it to anyone interested as to the why. Though I will admit that given the chance today I would be there with bells on to sign on her. As Ned Kelly said "such is life". Les

Esso Chelsea, did you live onboard, or was it a go home each night job.
Talking about going back to sea, wouldn't it be great if the Vindicatrix Association bought a four or five Hatcher and ran a general cargo alternating between the Mediterranean, Canada/US and Australia/NZ; it could be manned by former Merch guys, free board & lodge. Cargo down and cargo back would pay for victuals and fuel, I’m sure there would be no shortage of willing crews?

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009 05:14 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
That would be great and I would be there to sign on (might have trouble with the sheriff though). If we could do it here in Oz I would certainly sign on. Can you imagine it a full crew on the OAP from the government. The Esso Chelsea was a live on board and from what I can remember it was four berth cabins. I was pi**d the day I joined and stayed that way until I signed of five days later. Got my VG's and told not to come back. Les

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009 15:43 

Was there any truth in the rumour Tony that rather than being logged on the CWS Progress you used to lose your coop Divi? stanmass.

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009 18:29 

Empress of Australia(Kaiser Willam)
SS Winger
Reina Del Pacifico
Empress Of France
Empress Of Canada
Parthia
Ascania(The Ashcan)
Franconia
Caronia
Orion
Saxonia
Empress of Australia(De Grasse)
Newfoundland
Britannic
Ulster Prince
Empress of Scotland
Ivernia
Rina Del Mar
Apapa
Accra
Empress Of Britan
Rangatoto

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010 03:27 

The ships I sailed on.
Similarity 1955
Stratheden1955/56
Jellico Rose 1956
Strathnaver 1956/57
Orion 1957
Poole Channel 1958
Fountains Abbey 1958
Orion 1958
Athel Sultan 1959
San Felipe 1959/60
Orsova 1960/61
San Edmundo 1961/62
Horomya 1962/63
Hindsia 1964
Hadriana1964/65
Vitrina 1965
Hanetia 1966/67
Port New Plymouth 1971

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010 05:02 

lugworm wrote:
Ernie,
People keeping unopened bottles of wine? I had read about it but thought it was only a myth! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only mad men, parasites and non drinkers, are there such people, do not open the wine bottles.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]