Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 11:02 

Custom: Sailors Home Spinner!
Great stuff Geoff,I'd like some more !!
BrianD :thumbsupp: :lol:

Post subject: Re: The Rochester castle
Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 18:23 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
please sir , Id like some more. More asks the beagle. whats your name lad? Oliver Twist sir :slap:
th_lmao1-vi.gif th_lmao1-vi.gif

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011 05:41 

A true story though maybe not as exciting as Geoff.
On the Windsor in Durban sailing day. I was an officers steward and we had our accomodation on the boat deck along with the officers. Had finished my work by about mid day and had gone up to the funnel deck for some sun. Fell asleep as usual but thought I heard the ships alarms going off. Got up to take a look over the side and noticed most of the crew standing on the dock side. Thinking this was just a trail run I went back to my spot on deck.Stand by for engineers was normaly one hour prior to sailing and as officers stewards we had to ready to stand by in case they required any extras.
As it was by now about 1445 hours I decided to go down to the pantry to get ready for officers refreshments which I knew some would require as soon as we sailed. I noticed that the accomodation was deadly quiet with no one around. Thinking nothing of it I statrted for the lift when around the corner, looking like some black man, was the cheif engineer, Abercrombie a wonderful Scotsman.
He looked me ascance saying,' do you no,ken what is happeneing here?
I told him my name was John not Ken and no I had no idea what was occuring?
He then told me in no uncertain terms what had happened. The engine room crew had been preparing to switch from the auxilary engines to main just after noon when a fire broke out on the power board just along side a settling tank full of fuel oil. The automatic fire extingusers had failed and the engineers had been attempting to douse the fire by other means. He went on to say that had they not got it under control and the tank had gone up it would have gone straight up the funnel!!!! Oh happy days had that happened while I was till up there.
He then told me he needed a drink, not bloody tea he told me, a real drink. Go to the bar and get me a bottle of Vodka.
Down to the main galley where we had to use the first calss bar to supply senior officers with alcohol only to find the galley and everywhere else desserted. Nothing for it but to go into the bar and help my self. Back up to his cabin with the bottle and by now the other engineers were coming up. He then told me to get them any beer they wanted and to charge it to his account!
For that we always used the first class lounge bar, again no one there so help myself to a dozen beers and back to the accomadation.
We sailed eventualy and had to have a new auxilary fitted in Southampton. The chief got away with a very cheap round as I never told the head barman about the bottle, or the barman about the beer.
I did however get a couple of beer sfrom the senior second engineer Murphy who told me how lucky we all were that day in Durban.

Post Number:#24  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 20:22 
Site Admin

good story sailorsam :thumbsupp:

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2