It is currently 15 Dec 2017 21:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 11 Oct 2014 03:22 

I have the Win 10 TP installed as a Virtual machine on my PC, must say it is far better than win 8.

if you are interested you can get it here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

You can sign up for the Insider program and maybe Microsoft will actually listen to Users !! (we live in hope !!)

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 11 Oct 2014 09:35 
Site Admin

There's a video on you tube on it si I will be looking that merch. Thanks for the tip on it, first time I've heard of it.

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 11 Oct 2014 17:07 

Yes I have been playing around with it for a few days now and while I still don't like the tiles the O/S is a lot easier to use than Win 8.

Microsoft dropped a clanger there !

However this is only a TP and the actual o/s is due out the middle of next year, as I say so far it is looking a lot better than Win 8 however I will reserve judgment until nearer the release date to see if MS are listening to the feedback they are getting !

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014 02:40 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Well just when I thought everything was going right along comes Merchant with this new windows program and could not help myself in joining up. Will let you know how long it lasts on the computer mate LOL. Took a while to set up and now the head spins start I suppose but if I can manage this new one then anyone with an ounce of brain will also be able to. Now to sort out the anti virus thing as it is trying to understand a completely new windows that is yet to be released. At the moment had about fifteen warning pop ups from AVG but hope that it all sorts out real quick. Who said that I have lost my sense of adventure.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014 07:27 
Site Admin

yes les i think there is a little fella sitting in a room for years on his jack jones for years on end and when he gets fed up decides that we have learnt the new system enough to think we are clever so he chuck another one at us then goes back in his room and shuts the door for another few years :banghead: :banghead:

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014 08:23 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
Awww bog off th_lmao1-vi.gif just got rid of XP and up graded to 7, now your telling me there's a 10. poop.gif poop.gif
It reminds me of the old adage for buy a packet of 3 durex condoms, use 1 and you will still be 2 jumps ahead of yourself. th_lmao1-vi.gif th_lmao1-vi.gif th_lmao1-vi.gif th_lmao1-vi.gif

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014 09:04 

Don't worry Win 7 will be around for a good few years yet ......... :clap:

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014 21:11 

Got a question already for you Merch. Am I able to uninstall win 10 and how do I go about it. Not intending to but still like to know that the lifeboats are seaworthy when needed. At present the only snag I have is having to sign onto the computer on start up and can not at the moment figure out how to clear that. Have figured out how to stop password being needed to wake the bloody thing up. As said a dedicated luddite that likes a challenge every now and then. Just thinking that for once I might be able to understand the new windows if I go through all the challenges before it is released.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014 02:59 

First of all are you running it in a Virtual environment ?

If you are then that is simply a case of deleting the folder, if you have installed it to your HD then the only way is to install another O/S

You need to sign in to the Insider program using a MS account in order to receive updates, which at the moment because it is a Technical Preview, you cannot avoid there should be a link to the Forums on the desktop called Welcome to Technical Preview.

From there you can browse the forum and many of the questions are answered there.

If you are downloading stuff from the windows store, you need to be signed in using a MS account anyway

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014 21:17 

Thanks for that and yes I installed it on my O/S. So will mean a complete reinstall of W7 if I want to get out of the deal. At present am using a different HDD so will probably go back to the other one and check out the forum to see what is happening. Like everything new one has to approach it with no expectations of being able to breeze through the program.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014 02:17 

Quote:
so will probably go back to the other one and check out the forum

Why would you need to do that ? you should be able to access the forums from the Win 10 TP

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014 22:26 

Have a few concerns about 10 hence changing HDD so back to 7. Concern is that my anti virus was not handling it all that well and Rapport anti phishing would not work with 10. As they say 10 is a operating system in the making and as I ignored the advice that it was for seasoned users to evaluate I think maybe I have gone in over my head. What did happen is I turned of the computer and disconnected the HDD with 10 on. Then plugged in the 7 HDD for when I fired up the computer. Took a long while to settle down that HDD and configure my anti virus software back to normal for some reason. Can only think that there must have been some change to the computer system when I installed 10. Anyway everything is back to normal now and reckon you are right that I should format the 10 HDD and reinstall 7 back onto it. Must say that I quiet liked 10 but until the full version comes out think maybe this little black duck should bow out. Thank you for the chance to delve into the deep end mate LOL. Never know if one can swim until you do that.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014 03:12 

You don't learn unless you try !!!,

Have a look here

https://www.virtualbox.org/

You can install this to Win 7

then install a copy of win 10 just as if you were installing it to a HD, the bonus of doing that is that if you install something to the virtual machine it is not going to affect your Win 7 HD.

You should be able to go online and everything that you would normally do with an O/S I have about 8 different operating systems installed including a copy of Mac and Linux all running on windows, you still need to install AV, but you get to try different ones to see what works best, I prefer Avast and that seems to work quite well in Win 10

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014 22:21 

Being a novice but not frightened to have a go I dingo's out and formatted the hard drive with 10 on it and will probably install 7 back onto it. In the past I have been done a couple of times with either a virus or something else. My set up here is four HDD one external and three internal but only one internal hooked up. The external one is a redundant one from years ago but handy as a transfer between HDD's. All four are the same size of 500 gig. Usually the set up is one working. One as back up and the third one all ready to take over if the main one gets corrupted. Have been toying with the idea of looking for a cloning program that would update my personal files say every week but my dilemma is if it is in the system then it to would be prone to being corrupted. I know this sounds silly to a seasoned user like yourself but as said being a novice can be certain that if I get done it will be just when I need the computer the most urgent for finance work. Hence being able to simply unplug the infected one and plug a new one in straight away. Hope I have not taken up to much of you time with the ramblings of a luddite. Now back to the site to see what that fecker across the ditch is stirring up. Thanks Merch

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014 03:09 

BTW Had many a good night out in Newcastle NSW when I was there !!!

The main advantage of using VM is that you don't have to keep switching the HD around and if something F**ks up it is simply a case of deleting the folder containing the affected O/S.

Also great for testing out new software before installing to the HD

I am no expert I learned by experimenting but it helps if you have an interest in computers

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014 00:41 

Just setting up this HDD after reinstalling 7 so probably install VM and give it a shot once I have sorted out all the other crap to install.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014 04:54 

That's the spirit !!!!

This article will help

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/ho ... p-by-step/

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014 21:22 

Well no good being fecking stupid unless one shows it is there. Installed xp as I wanted to go back to outlook express. After installing it found I could not get the modem and computer to shake hands so phoned up tech support and even they could not help me. Then a rush of blood to the brain and went down the shed to find the disc that came with the computer with all the drivers on it. What do you know everything came alive after installing that. Found out the O/E was crap due to xp now redundant so back with W7. Tried that adaware program but got to say that I was not impressed with all the gunk on the title bar of I/E so disabled it for now. Upgraded to I/E 11 and that seems to have sorted out the memory problem I got with the generic I/E. So now for my next adventure with doing my brain in by delving into the ether. Got to say that by having multiple HDD gives one more freedom to experiment knowing that all can be reversed within minutes even if it is a pain in the back side reinstalling. The biggest problem is getting all those fecking updates done with windows LOL. As for Newcastle well mate do not think you would recognise the place much as it is changing into a cloned Sydney albet a minute one if they get their way. High rise and university to entice more people into the town and guess what they intend to do? Tear up the rail line that would cater for people to go into the fecking place. Got to say though that the beach's are still great even if we get the occasional bulk carrier getting beached on them.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014 08:40 
Site Admin

I'll give it a miss for the moment until i know that this one is 100%

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014 22:48 

Well Merch finally bit the bullet and reinstalled that Ad blocker again after agonising over the site name as it seemed to be a strange name. Experimented with trying to install windows onto an external HDD and thought I had it right until the reboot and seems that I would have to change the start up procedure to recognise that before any internal drives so thought I would give that one a miss for now. I know that when I purchased this puter years ago told the bloke that I would install windows and all that. First thing was he made the boot up sequence to put the HDD before the disc drive to stuff me up. So soon learnt how to get into all that. Just have to make sure that one recalls what changes are made so as to be able to reverse it once it all goes tits up on you. Anyway taking up to much of your time with all this garbage I am going on about so just to thank you for your help mate and still thinking of that w10 later LOL.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next