It is currently 16 Jan 2018 11:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: how do i do it?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 18:01 
Site Admin

how do i do it?
this is something that we ask ourselves on a regular basis where our computers are concerned. everyone has some programme they want to find, use or wants to upload or download something and just don't quite have the hang of it.
if this is the case with any members of sailors home you can iether log on to howard's site HERE or ask here on sailors home in this thread.

there are at least three very clued up people on sailors home that are able to help you. these members have helped thousands of people over the years and have excellent reputations.

so please take advantage of their presence!
tom :wave;

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post subject: Re: how do i do it?
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012 10:19 
Site Admin

if you find an image on the internet that you would like to load onto sailors home, here is how to do it.

1. make sure that the image is not copyrighted ! if you are unsure upload the image and we will take it from there.

2. right click on the image and select copy image url. sometimes you may need to left click on the image first to open up the image on it's own first.

3. go to sailors home reply text box and from the selection of buttons above left click on the Img button.

4. put your mouse curser between
 [img]paste image here[/img]

5. examlpe: Image
looks like this in the reply text box before submitting
[img]http://blu.stc.s-msn.com/as/wea3/i/en-us/saw/46.gif[/img]

using this method saves downloading loads of crap onto your pc and it also saves sailors home bandwidth too

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012 03:30 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Right got one that has dropped into my lap. Daughter has just informed me that her computer has been done over with a virus. Apperantly she now only has a blue screen when she fires it up. Now I am going from second hand info here so please go gentle with me as I am a virgin concening all this stuff. My first response is to ditch the tower and get another one or is there a cheaper alternative. Would it intail changing the ram and hard drive or just going into Bios if possible and know that if I let myself go in there that I can do more damage than anyone else. Have fiddled around with this computer but make sure that what ever I change does not work that I go and change it back before proceeding to another step. Anyway all I know at the moment is that there is just the dreaded blue screen coming up. As said will do a definate hard boot on it out the door if all else fails. Of course she has two kids who get on the computer and as we all know if the anti virus pops up to tell you that there is danger that kids will negate that just to play a fecking game. There is a paid AVG anti virus on the computer but as I said if kids are involved then it become useless with them.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012 18:50 
Site Admin

Will it boot in safe mode?
Has there been a new programme installed?
If yes to both Qs try uninstalling it in safe mode.

How much RAM is in it? Make sure that the ram is fixed in securely.

Is there any onscreen message with bs.

Not at home at the moment so googling is a prob.
Google bsod and causes (blue screen of death = bsod)

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012 21:51 

Thanks Tom but as the computer is not here and only going on what the daughter has told me so far I am just as much in the dark as yourself. Alll I know is that kids are involved LOL.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012 22:18 

All sorted out. It seems the monitor karked it hence a black screen not a blue one. Mind you went round and got the computer and took it into the shed and dismantled the fecker. Just as I thought. Women who proffess to being cleaner than males. What a fecking joke. The bloody thing had not had the cover of since she purchased it and after taking out about two yards of dust and lint everything is back to working order. Same with cars they just do not think that the thing under the bonnet does not need the TLC that they crave all the bloody time.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012 08:36 
Site Admin

great les :pirate: :pirate: .

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013 03:49 

Must be getting a bit of age on me for posting this. Usually I just jump in feet first and sort out the crap later on but this time thought I might explain what is rattling around in the grey matter. I now and again like to re format and re install windows on this computer to clear out all the shite on it. I tried it with the son's computer only to find that the format option is not there if you already have W7 installed. So to make sure that I end up with a clean HDD I am thinking of purchasing another HDD and disconnecting the old one. This should force W7 to install fresh after formating the new HDD. Now if I was to end up stuffing it all up would I not be able to re connect the old HDD and still have my old system working? If successful then would make the old HDD a secondary slave HDD and format it as a back up drive. Sometimes I just think that I am blowing smoke up my own anus. It was so much easier with the old XP system. Have heard of a Killdisk system that wipes out all info on the HDD but when going on the site found out that the free seems to cost money. Fecking fed up with the way that they have changed the meaning of free today. Nearly got arrested once because they had this product outside the shop with Free on it. Did not notice the sign that said? After purchasing such and such. Anyway back to computer. Why I want to do it is because even doing fragmentation and Ccleaner the computer just is not a quick as it once was. The draw back is having to do all the updates again once it is cleaned out but then as Ned said? Such is life. Any response to this post please remember that you are trying to tell a dedicated idiot okay. No good being fecking stupid unless one shows it.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013 08:29 
Site Admin

access your boot options first, you can first try continuous tapping on F9 when booting to select the boot order too. whatever option you want it is wise to do a print out or written copy
how to access various computers boot order
http://www.resetwindowspassword.com/ent ... rands.html

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013 15:05 

Tom I can boot up from the Disc drive okay. It is that I am used to being able to be given the option of formating the HDD from that disc but seems that W7 does not give you that choice once it has been installed on the computer. Only gives you the choice of reinstalling or mending the program. As I said seems the wisest choice is to put in a new HDD and that way will know that it is a clean drive. So if I do dissapear from site for a while I am either pushing up daisies or fecked up the computer completely. Not intending doing it until next weekend once I make sure I have the right HDD then try out that killdisk program if I can get it to run but either way will end up with a slave disc in the computer. Think this is just another way of getting me to open up the wallet.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013 16:29 
Site Admin

if you are likely to add another drive then there will be an option to format the either drive by using the opposite drive. once that is done you can do a fresh install on the old drive

good luck mate

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013 00:07 

Just thought of something else and want to run it up the flag pole. I have a 500 gig external HDD is it possible to utilise that to become the default HDD and how do I do that? Would save a bit of money would it not. Not that I am a tight wad or anything like that. Keep your oppinions to yourself Geoff.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013 07:35 
Site Admin

i see where you coming from les but ext HD's are not able to run any platforms/OS.

there is another way, you could always put the existing drive into someone else's pc as a second drive and format it with their main drive

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013 22:38 

Now that is something I did not think of and thank you for it. Still mucking around and learning as I partitioned the HDD and installed W7 but found out that it still retained all the crap from the C drive so went back to an unpartitioned drive. Will keep on working on it until one of three things happen. 1 I find a way of doing it, 2 I feck it right up and 3 get the shites with it and use it to fill the garbage bin up with. But learning at each step which is what life is all about.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013 13:39 
Site Admin

if you are getting to the point of being able to make a partition you can format the drive.

at this point you need to select the custom advanced option not the upgrade

at this point there will be options to format the drive open advanced options there is no need to partition the drive.

HERE is a full run-down on the new install and notice in image 7 you will see the option to format the drive and delete partitions.

Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013 22:40 

Thanks Tom will have a break from it for a while as have wasted to many fecking heartbeats on it over the last few days but thankfully have not stuffed it up yet. Did try that custom advance part but must have missed the format option somehow. Will put that site in the favourites list for perusal later on.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]