It is currently 18 Jan 2018 00:17

All times are UTC

Page 7 of 9 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: nautical quiz
Post Number:#121  PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010 23:53 

Custom: The Quizz Master
x taffy 2 wrote:
Whack ,ouch wont forget that one again. Yep Terry we had to row a 4ton lifeboat up and down East dock in Cardiff . About a mile each way and only 4 of us rowing, the instructor always grabbed the steery sticky thing that stuck into a rudder thinga me bob th_lmao1-vi.gif .
:baby:

th_lmao1-vi.gif I take it you mean the tiller Taff, always point it in the direction you want to steer away from. The Bermuda Triangle :lmao: happy days taff Regards, Terry.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Number:#122  PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010 00:49 

islandmann wrote:
Taff, You like me mate got it drummed into me that many times ,Then having to take a boat out on the river with the instructor and put it all into practical with a mock crew aboard i cant forget the lifeboat drill or orders for obtaining my boat ticket, Your right with cast off bowman or push away from ships side with the other end of the boat hook. :thumbsupp: BUT!!!!! Don't forget to lock in cleats for oars, ;) Regards all Terry.

:sailship: :drunk2: Last Q, I can think of regarding boat ticket what part of the ship when possible had to leave with the first boat that got away, Apart from any bottles of booze you could find............. th_lmao1-vi.gif th_lmao1-vi.gif Terry.

Post Number:#123  PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010 02:38 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
Dont remember that being drummed in. The only thing i can think of is the ships log book??.
Q, What part of the boats equipment was not secured in the boat.?

Post Number:#124  PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010 14:55 

Log Book Correct Taff, Not secured inside the boat i can only think of lifelines, The rudder, also the sheepshank that run under her keel. Your life jacket was yours alone kept in your cabin. :scratchhead: I stand corrected if i have forgotten something taff ?????????? Regards mate Terry.

Post Number:#125  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010 13:35 

Taff ? As there is no feedback do i take it i hit the right note :scratchhead: :scratchhead: Regards Terry. :roll:

If so, Q, Once the lifeboat is under sail and making headway what boats fitting, Doesn't run fore to aft, aft to fore, port to starboard ,starboard to port, or thwart ships, inside the boat. Regards Terry. :scratchhead:

Post Number:#126  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010 22:50 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Sea anchor

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#127  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 08:24 
Site Admin

Sorry Terry i was not ignoring you. i was waiting to see if anybody else wanted to have a try.
As they havent the( A) is the boathooks.
Your Q, the only thing i can think of is the sail halyards , they go vertical up and down?????

Post Number:#128  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 15:32 

x taffy 2 wrote:
Sorry Terry i was not ignoring you. i was waiting to see if anybody else wanted to have a try.
As they havent the( A) is the boathooks.
Your Q, the only thing i can think of is the sail halyards , they go vertical up and down?????

Taff, my mate yes they go up and down so they run aloft but not as aloft as the A, The mast, Lifelines i mentioned were attached to the stay running between davits, they were loose not attached to the boat, they fell as she was lowered on the boats falls and were used to climb down the ships side to get into the boat, a good deck hand could make one in seconds by making underhand tucks on deck with a gantline and passing the end through result, A perfect life line with a knot for grip about every yard or so?????. Les the sea anchor could i agree run anywhere but could also run fore and aft Regards lads Terry. Some boats carried two boat hooks, Also two hooks fore and aft that the boats falls or block were attached, But there was one more hook every lifeboat carried { FOOD FOR THOUGHT ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS? } islandmann. :nea"

Post Number:#129  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 18:55 
Site Admin

Morning .
A How about the hook on the mast traveller?????
Q There were other hooks where were they???
I agree that the life lines were loose and not secured, but they were not part of the boats equipment . As they were left behind still attatched to the ship, same as the rope boarding ladders.
I once saw an old timer putting figure of 8 knots in a life line using the same method, they all came out about 6 ft in distance. He showed me how to do it one some small stuff, but ive well forgoten how its done now.

Post Number:#130  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 19:51 

x taffy 2 wrote:
Morning .
A How about the hook on the mast traveller?????
Q There were other hooks where were they???
I agree that the life lines were loose and not secured, but they were not part of the boats equipment . As they were left behind still attatched to the ship, same as the rope boarding ladders.
I once saw an old timer putting figure of 8 knots in a life line using the same method, they all came out about 6 ft in distance. He showed me how to do it one some small stuff, but ive well forgotten how its done now.

Debatable Taff !!! As to wether them lifelines were part of the boats equipment unlike the davits or the falls failing you in some way they were essential in the exercise of abandoning ship!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still i will agree to disagree Terry. I will start the ball rolling on hooks that haven't been mentioned Fishing hook. Regards Taff Terry.

:sailship:

Post Number:#131  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 21:33 
Site Admin

Hole in one Terry, though what you used for bait is unknown, cant see a fish going for some hard tack biscuits or a tin of condensed milk :scratchhead:
There were other hooks that were called hooks , but were not hooks in the in the known sense (IE this shape ?) There were 2, sometimes 4 of them.
Anybody what to join in, please do so.

Post Number:#132  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010 23:39 

x taffy 2 wrote:
Hole in one Terry, though what you used for bait is unknown, cant see a fish going for some hard tack biscuits or a tin of condensed milk :scratchhead:
There were other hooks that were called hooks , but were not hooks in the in the known sense (IE this shape ?) There were 2, sometimes 4 of them.
Anybody what to join in, please do so.

Well Taff you raise a good point in what you use for bait,I have an old book belonging to one of my long list of seafaring family members the first discharge is dated 1919 i will scan and post the pics or send them to tom { not very up on the acker macker valvue yet} i have a list of rations to be handed out to each survivor daily while stranded in a lifeboat. You will all be amazed the rations we would have been issued in the 50s 60s 70s Don't differ that much from when he first went away to sea the first 6 pages are missing in the book his first discharge was 1903, I have been told that of a night in warm waters you could shine a torch over the side of the boat as we did with cluster lights, And hopefully catch yourself some bait by whatever means :club: . There were also sea anchor hooks{ term used} Although the correct term was flukes and yes there are a few more lets hope we get some feedback turned out a good thread. Regards mate Terry. :pirate: p.s. the figure of 8 knot you mention apart from what you explained only had one use aboard ship it was the only reason you used it for ????? Anyone Terry. :scratchhead:

Post Number:#133  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010 22:52 

Geoff to do the figure of eight knots I will try and explain I hope. You get a bite of the line and twist it into a loop then add another twist. Repeat this process until you have the desired amount you require. You then pass the end of the line through the loops and then as you pull it through each figure of eight will be formed. Have to make sure that the loops are large enough for them to pass through. I recall that they where used for climbing hence the figure of eight being large enough for a foot hold. One other thing I think the figure of eight, overhand, reef and granny where the only knots around all the others are bends and hitches. Same as there was only ever one rope on a ship.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#134  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010 23:27 

Les wrote:
Geoff to do the figure of eight knots I will try and explain I hope. You get a bite of the line and twist it into a loop then add another twist. Repeat this process until you have the desired amount you require. You then pass the end of the line through the loops and then as you pull it through each figure of eight will be formed. Have to make sure that the loops are large enough for them to pass through. I recall that they where used for climbing hence the figure of eight being large enough for a foot hold. One other thing I think the figure of eight, overhand, reef and granny where the only knots around all the others are bends and hitches. Same as there was only ever one rope on a ship.

Spot on les but as you say not as easy as one thinks like everything aboard ship each to there own expertise. Its just that us seaman needed more expertise than others th_lmao1-vi.gif Have i dropped a :blowup: Now we might get tested Les as long as we can test them back :rules: th_lmao1-vi.gif The only use for a figure of 8 knot was to stop a line or halyards being let loose and shooting through a block mostly were it would be dangerous while at sea to sheave a new line example cross tree on mast for flags or the block that flew a paying off pennant topmast etc....we will give them the first one for free Les only rope aboard ship the bell rope ? Regards lads Terry.

Post Number:#135  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010 02:08 
Site Admin

Thanks for that Les, when you discribed it, it all fell in to place.
There were other knots , a wall knot, a crown knot, as in making a wall & crown

The figure of 8 could also be used as a quick way of stopping a frayed end of a line , until i could be whipped up etc.

Any more Hooks in a lifeboat??
There were breast hooks in the bow and stern

Trying to remember the lifeboat issues, Barley sugar, condenced milk , water and biscuits. cant remember the daily allowances now, but if you were on a bad feeder i would say they would be an improvement.

Post Number:#136  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010 20:17 

Taff my old mate don't follow your theory on a figure of 8 knot stopping a frayed rope running loose. Unless you are repeating what i posted Are you saying if lets say a mooring line frayed you could stop it going threw a fair lead with a figure of 8 knot, :thumbsdown: In my time on deck frayed ropes were cut and through over the side never to be used. But as a precaution i have put many figure of 8 knots in halyards and hawser lines that ran aloft never seen your method used. Has any other deckhand on the site used a figure of 8 knot for other than what i have suggested :scratchhead: Interested if you did. Regards taff Terry. :? Taff don't get confused a figure of 8 knot, and a figure of 8 Loop, are very different hitches. If i was called on to save a length of rope as oppose to the figure of 8 loop? i could put a bowline together a lot quicker and have done.Two birds with one stone Bowline or hook? Regards mate Terry.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Number:#137  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010 23:24 

Do you also remember using the long splice to replace lines so that it would pass through the block. I always found the long splice to be a one of use as it was not a secure as the short splice and I have a vague recollection that the long splice was supposed to be banned at one stage because of this. As an aside remember how we used to get laughs out of first trippers by asking them to do a running bowline or dragging bowline.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#138  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010 00:06 

Certainly do Les run along the deck with it. I Must admit don't remember any splice being banned have used both myself, As you well know it was getting started with the knot that produced the three even strands to enable you to carry the splice out. Remember the back splice Les that was the same 123 tuck 1 behind 3 make three even strands away you go all splices only needed three tucks {rope} But they never let you down buddy Regards Les Terry. :drunk:

Post Number:#139  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010 03:14 
Site Admin

Taff my old mate don't follow your theory on a figure of 8 knot stopping a frayed rope running loose. Unless you are repeating what i posted Are you saying if lets say a mooring line frayed you could stop it going threw a fair lead with a figure of 8 knot.

No Terry what i was saying is that if you were using a gantline/ heaving line etc and you noticed that the end was fraying/ unraveling, you could us a figure of 8 or an overhand knot to stop it unraveling as a temporary measure. Until you had time to put in a whipping or back splice. Dont thing i would try to put a F of 8 in a mooring line.

Learned how to do a long splice in sea school , but never put one into practice as i never found a reason to use one, it always looked very flimsy to me.
How about the good old snowball hitch that just seemed to melt and fall apart :lmao:

Post Number:#140  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010 22:50 

Well Taff my old mate it was like any splice. in the case of the long and short splice anyone can fasten two ends of rope together, But will that knot pass through a block or tackle, The long and short splice will, And after a few days you wont be able to spot it from the rest of the runner or whatever you used it on. I did witness and conducted this exercise a few times and in all cases it looks more shipshape and Bristol fashion Regards Taff Terry.

Page 7 of 9 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next