It is currently 24 Mar 2018 15:34

 Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017 03:12 
User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008 21:50
Posts: 2739
Location: South Pacific
Acknowledgement "The Pitcairn Miscellany 2014 for this article"

"HOW ROY PALMER CLARK CAME TO PITCAIRN ISLAND On the 20th April, 1881 the Acadia, a large three masted full rigged clipper ship loaded with wheat, left San Francisco bound for Cork to await orders. The ship’s crew consisted of 22 hands, the captain, three officers, the common seamen and two apprentice boys named Lincoln Clark and Ormond Fowler. The former eventually became my father. There was also one other member of the crew that helped to form an important part in my life. This was the sail maker, Phillip Cook Coffin. Many, many years after I had the pleasure of marrying one of his daughters. From the time the Acadia cleared the Golden Gate [San Francisco] until she reached the South Seas, the weather was perfect and the voyage uneventful. This imperturbable, peaceful voyage came to an end on a clear moonlight night, 5th June, 1881. Lincoln, whom henceforth I will call my father had just come to his room relieved by the watch and was in his bunk reading when all of a sudden there was heard a mighty grinding, crunching noise and a crash that shook the vessel from stem to stern. My father was thrown from his bunk to the floor, and then through the cabin dining room door and into the dining room. It did not take long before every man was on deck wondering what was happening. As soon as it was found that the ship was wrecked on a coral reef there was great excitement but, as related to me by my father, there was no unnecessary confusion. Captain George immediately saw the situation and his orders were prompt and quick. Each order given by him was promptly obeyed. First a kedge anchor was cast astern, which was fastened to the windlass and in time the ship gradually began to free herself from the reef. At last she was free and began to drift to sea. There was a slight breeze blowing offshore so orders were given to hoist sail so as to help on the kedge anchor but as fate would have it, the wind shifted, just at this opportune time when it seemed that all danger was over and blew the Acadia back on to the reef, this time never to come off again. Photo - courtesy of Warren Christian - Roy P Clark
The Pitcairn Miscellany August 2014
Soundings of the ship were taken and showed that she was leaking badly. Orders were given to lighten the ship and tons of wheat were thrown overboard but this proved to no avail for the water in the hold of the vessel still increased. As a last resort all hands took to the pumps and spelled off and on for two hours. But the ship was doomed. There was nothing left to be done but to seek safety for the crew, so two boats were lowered into the water and the crew of the Acadia left their home to the mercy of the elements and took to the ship’s boats for weal or woe. The sailmaker, Phillip Coffin, suggested to Captain George that they set sail for Pitcairn Island. He stated that he had been there some years before on a whaling ship and that the people were very kind and hospitable. This suggestion met the approval of the captain and without delay was put into effect, so the two boats left Ducie Reef and the ill fated Acadia for Pitcairn Island. Often have I heard my father relate how it was at this time he enjoyed the best meal he had ever had. The Negro cook took some bottled fruit and, for the want of something better, washed out his hat well with salt water and then emptied the contents of several bottles of fruit into it, stirred in some broken ship’s biscuits, and served a meal a la mode. There must have been high hilarity and merriment. However, the meal was enjoyed by all. As the boats drew near to land the islanders saw them and surmised correctly that they belonged to a shipwrecked crew. They hastened to prepare food and go to their assistance. A boat put off from land loaded with fruit, water and other articles they thought would be needed. The boat’s crew were shown every consideration and were treated with kindness such as they never expected. On reaching shore there was also spread on the sand a great repast such as potatoes, chickens, fried bananas and other native foods. The crew were led up the steep incline to the landing edge and then on to the village, called Adamstown. Everything was done to make the crew as comfortable as possible and to make them all feel at home. Each of the 13 families took one or more of the crew in their own homes. My father and Ormond and Captain George were taken in by the Pastor or Minister of the island, Simon Young, a direct descendant of Edward Young of the Bounty. Even to this day, the remembrance of the name of Simon Young calls up respect and reverence for one that was more than a man of God. The crew of the Acadia spent many happy days on the island before a ship was sighted to carry them back to San Francisco. This was in February 1882, after spending nearly eight months on Pitcairn. There was one who did not leave the island and that was Phillip Coffin. He wooed and won one of the young island girls and was soon married and thereafter made his home with the islanders. My father’s sea career after his homecoming was not at an end. For sometime he worked for the Pacific Coast Steamship Company as clerk and purser. Finally he tired of sea life and turned to the electrical trade. Time passed. He married. I was his first child. Five years later my sister was born. We were the only children. About this time some of the Pitcairn Islanders had occasion to leave the island. Two finally reached San Francisco and eventually the home of my parents and grandparents. These islanders were made welcome and became as one of the family. Our home was their home as long as they chose to stay. It was a case, on their part, of receiving their cast bread after many days. During the visit of the islanders to our home the old life of Pitcairn was brought vividly back to my father’s memory. Old experiences were related. Narratives forgotten were brought forcibly to his mind and from this time the germ of Wanderlust and the desire to visit Pitcairn again entered his very being. He spoke often to me, in my youth, of Pitcairn and the South Sea islands. He spoke of getting away from civilisation with all its grasping selfishness and its inhumanity. He hinted to me of his desire to visit the South Seas again. This was the call of the tropics, though he little realised it. When this call once gets into one it stays there for life, or until the desire is gratified. He spoke to me of how he would like to see me find a home and wife on Pitcairn and that I might love the island as he had. This wander call was so great that worldly ambition was set aside and he made a trip to Tahiti to see
The Pitcairn Miscellany August 2014
what the prospects were of making a living there for a time and if opportunity offered to go on to Pitcairn. It was decided that Tahiti was not a fit place to bring my mother, myself and sister, so the idea was abandoned. I was a miscreant at school. No teacher ever liked me, or, as far as I am aware ever tried to turn a bad boy into a good one. I played truant away from school for weeks at a time and associated with evil companions. I was on the downward road. My parents decided to take me out of school and find some kind of work for me to do. At last work was found in the worst possible place for a boy of my temperament. I worked in a theatre and soon began to smoke and drink and waste my money in other useless ways. Then it was that something happened. I look back through my life and find that it was God’s intervening hand that changed my whole course of life My father and I left San Francisco in July, 1909 for Tahiti and eventually went on to Pitcairn. What a welcome we had! I shall never forget it! My father found old friends and we were feasted and dined as ever any royal family were, and in the very same home that sheltered my father some 40 years ago we were welcomed as he was during his first stay on the island. Life was made pleasant for us, the islanders doing all in their power to make us feel at home. We lacked for nothing. We in time became as one of the islanders and well do I remember the time when one of them came to my father and offered him a home in the most magnanimous manner possible – a home that we could call our very own and in which today myself and family live. The old sail maker, Phillip Coffin, was still on the island and had raised a large family of which most all live today. Phillip Coffin and my dear old father have gone the way of all men and now I am more alone than ever. My wife and I have been married for over 20 years and we are happy and contented. We have a girl just past her sixteenth year. I rejoice to know that the Lord has been able to use me in His work on the island and have in more than one way proved myself useful to the now large community of Pitcairn Island. The tale of how it happened that I came to Pitcairn is ended. As the tropics called to my father they also call to me and I would not leave them for any and all the allurements of any city in the world.
(Roy Palmer Clark passed away on Pitcairn on May 10th 1980 aged 86 years)

ImageCensus information is Crown Copyright" onclick=";return false

Click here for live webcam on New Caledonia
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for: