It is currently 14 Dec 2017 10:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015 07:53 

We all have thoughts passing through our mind constantly; sundry and specific.
A penny for your thoughts is not much, and in all probability those thoughts are worth a lot more - Perhaps if you write a book you’ll become a rich man but writing a book requires skill and dedication; however, if you frequently post online you have more than likely written a book.

A novel is in excess of 60,000 words, and that’s a lot of writing, but if like me you write your post in a word processing programme such as ‘Microsoft Word’, before posting, you already have a book.
At the very least you have a biological caricature of yourself, the most important person in the world. That’s not condescending it is fact – to those you love and who love you in return it is liquid gold.
The fact is you are part of their life and they will miss you when you’ve gone. Future generations of descendants will treasure, a meander through the mind of an ancestor.
I wish I had such an insight to my great grandparents’ minds.
They escaped the misery, danger and poverty, following the Irish potato blight to the poverty of life in a Liverpool Court.

The 18th century potato blight destroyed crops in Ireland, it not only decimated the potato crops it also killed thousands of share-croppers. Those who farmed and relied on potato’s for their livelihood.
Starvation was rife in rural Ireland, a country governed by England, they had no industry other than farming; therefore, it was starve or leave.

I say a ‘Liverpool Court’ but it wasn’t a court in a legal sense. Thousands did starve and thousands left the country, migrated to England, Scotland and the New World; the USA.
Liverpool, being the closest port to Ireland, became a convenient destination for the wretched immigrants. They were accommodated in slum houses, Courts consisting of narrow cul-de-sacs made up of 12 four roomed houses, each room atop the next

6 houses on either side of a narrow cobbled street, with a water pump and communal toilet at one end of each Court.
Each of the 4 rooms, which included the cellar, were rented out to individual families; therefore, there was one family per room of each squalid house. Remember there was no Coitus Interuptis or other birth control in those far off days, so very large families were the rule rather than the exception.... On average there was 8 persons to each room and only one toilet at the end of the Court and no running water. In a Court there was an average of 380 souls sharing 1 toilet at the end of the street and 1 water-pump?

It was poverty plus but my Irish ancestors could find work and they did. My great grandfather became a Docker and my great uncles were Merchant Seamen, one of them actually died of Malarial Fever that he caught in West Africa in 1893 - He died miserably in a room of number 3 court, Sylvester Street, Liverpool in 1895.
He could have been serving on a sailing-ship but most likely it was a coal burning vessel because this was after the Industrial Revolution of the 17th.century.

The sea was in my blood because all of my great uncles, my father and his brothers were seamen. I broke the mould by going from Deckboy to Able Seaman then getting my Master's qualification at the end of the seventies.
My first cousin went better than that, he was the first of the O'Dwyer's to go to university and actually was the chair of the British Building Company, Whimpys.
Sir Joe went further, he got a Knighthood for his work in the regeneration of, my old home town, Liverpool, which is fast becoming one of the most modern cities in the UK.
The 'O' was dropped from Dwyer in 1886 when my O'Dwyer's family arrived at Liverpool in 1886.

We are all ex-Merchant Seamen and we all have a tale to tell. Use Word-Processing and you will surprise yourself, you never know what might happen.
I was the black sheep of our family spending 3.5 year incarcerated at Saint Vincent's Approved School in north Wales. When released as an eleven year old I couldn't read - now I am a published writer and I certainly believe you all have the potential do the same you just need the, "Want to!"

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]