It is currently 18 Nov 2017 04:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013 00:01 

Anyone who sailed with me from 1966-75 mainly served on Baltic boats had a great time and happily met some right characters who I'd love to hear from again.........every days a bonus. Dave Clarke :icecube:

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013 22:46 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Was mainly on the colonial run at that time mate but know what you mean about characters at sea around then. Did managed to get chaught up on a MANZ run so ended up doing the states as well though was bloody skint all the time as I had been logged so much that was not on pay until we left the coast. Might find that it is a bit quiet on this site at the moment as Tom is up to his eyeballs in all sorts of technical shite as well as looking after the Dutchess and grandson. The two girls have patched up and busy doing what females do best that is talking. As for Geoff well he is getting over a heart attack due to the fact that he might have to open up the wallet and get a computer that runs on electricity. The rest of the crew pop in now and then. I like this site to being on an old tramp ship unlike other sites that seem to be liners if you know what I mean. Was on deck myself but did not make the heights of AB only made it to EDH and was happy with that. Never been one with asperations to becoming a chief much more comfortable as an indian.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013 08:18 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
I was one of those that always turned south heading for the warmer climes and the sun. Only once went to Murmansk and from that experience i was a confirmed tropical boy, you can stick the ice and snow. dont worry about Les and my puta he's only jealous that ive got XP.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013 00:15 

Thanks for message Taff re MANZ runs I also enjoyed those but was unfortunate in that on the one ship that used to do it (Baron Forbes) we hit a submerged log in Vancover taking the balance out of the screw so until they got round to dry dock everywhere was at half speed still felt like a spin dryer then Finally dry docked in Japan for a couple of weeks not the cheapest run ashore my turn as night watchman One full round trip I think we got in 6 months happy days dave clarke

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013 22:42 

Alright got to be one idiot mention it so putting my hand up. What happened to the other five mate or are you over getting asked this every time. Referring to the group called the Dave Clarke Five and what great songs they pumped out also recognised as one of the loudest groups around I from memory. As for your MANZ run mate it sounds like you had a slow bloody trip. Was it after end accomodation as I sailed of quiet a few that where and could imagine what it would have been like with a unbalanced screw (that is a propeller out of balance Geoff not a mad Kiwi searching for a Ewe). Anyway sorry for being the idiot mentioning the DCV group again. At least it is out and over with hey.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 01:07 

:icecube: No Les never had my name linked to that group honest! Think I once owned a pair of cuban heeled boots like they used to wear though. As for that ship yes the accomadation was all aft and apart from chunks missing from the blades the shaft was bent they had to remove seaveral feet of hull plates to make the repair.Was noisy and trying to sleep felt like a bad case of the d tees all in all though not a bad trip if a bit slow.Dave Clarke

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 03:17 

Bet you did the old trick of a rolling chock in the bunk. Roll up a blanket and stick it under the matress so that you did not roll out especially when in the top bunk. Was the crude form of safety rail that most did not have. To this day I still sleep with one leg cocked up that also prevented rolling around. Wonder if many others still sleep this way.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 09:57 
Site Admin

Yep me to and with one arm bent out too. like the recovery position in first aid.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 10:02 
Site Admin

:offtopic: beam to beam bunks are far better than fore to aft which are extremely rare, nevertheless some still end up on the deck.

how many lads have seen or had an adverse bunk?

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 21:56 

All my bunks where adverse especially after a night ashore.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013 22:56 

:icecube: Don't recall an adverse bunk however did try doing it standing up wearing sea boots in a hammock once requires good balance strong calf muscles and a high deck head not a pritty sight. Dave Clarke

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013 06:27 
Site Admin

On the Hornby Grange they were fore and aft bunks but as our cabins were midships it didnt make much difference,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Did have a good nights kip in a wardrobe once, but a bit of a bugger trying to walk upright the next morning. There should be a post somewhere were i spent the night in the safety cargo net slung under the gangway, when i fell off the gangway hissed! and spent a lovely night being rocked to sleep as the ship moved on the mooring lines. ;dntkn
Tom you must never have been on an empty ore boat that would roll on wet grass, you'd end up with sheet burns.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]