It is currently 24 Feb 2018 22:09

Post subject: Re: Change Forum?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008 01:02 

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse! :D

Happy New Year to anyone who passes this way.

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009 06:19 

Custom: LORD REGINALD OF THE MANOR!
Samsette wrote:
Its either that, or nail the lid shut on it. :(

A general topics forum may attract some response. It is worth a try.

Yes Samsette I agree! It's a pitty to see this FORUM sink to the bottom of the sea. I have put a few fliers in some shops but don't think anyone read them?
Fingers crossed. Reg.

Click here for live webcam on New Caledonia
Thaithyme

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009 02:29 

i WISH SOMEONE WOULD EXPLAIN WHAT HAS GONE WRONG WITH THIS FORUM. ALL AT ONCE EVERYBODY SEEMED TO LOOSE INTEREST, APART FROM FOUR OR FIVE MEMBERS. i HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS HAS COME ABOUT,OR IS IT THAT I AM SO REMOTE THAT I CANNOT SEE THE TREE'S FOR THE FOREST?
I FEEL SORRY FOR SAILORSYMO OUR ADMINISTRATOR HE MUST BE SO DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED!!
I accept that the Captain should go down with his ship but in this case maybe a few others should accompany him on the 19th Jan 2009.
Reg.

Thaithyme

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009 13:31 

sailorsymo wrote:
rbrewr wrote:
i WISH SOMEONE WOULD EXPLAIN WHAT HAS GONE WRONG WITH THIS FORUM. ALL AT ONCE EVERYBODY SEEMED TO LOOSE INTEREST, APART FROM FOUR OR FIVE MEMBERS. i HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS HAS COME ABOUT,OR IS IT THAT I AM SO REMOTE THAT I CANNOT SEE THE TREE'S FOR THE FOREST?
I FEEL SORRY FOR SAILORSYMO OUR ADMINISTRATOR HE MUST BE SO DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED!!
I accept that the Captain should go down with his ship but in this case maybe a few others should accompany him on the 19th Jan 2009.
Reg.

Hi Reg,
the problem started when Anthony wanted to hand the site over to me, unfortunately he had lost the Community Control Panel details required to complete the hand-over so he had to close the site in order for me to reopen it. I received an email from one B Daley pleading with me to set something up, a place where he and his friends could continue to post, I answered him in the afirmative and I did let him know the Sailors Home was open once more but I heard nothing further from him. I later heard he was emailing members to join him elswhere.
It doesn't really concern me as I am busy on my other sites but it is a pity to see the Sailors Home end this way.
Thank you Reg for your effort in trying to get the site going again.

Ed

Hi Ed
As many of the old members have sighned of and sighned on other sights maybe a change of format would help IE on anouther sight I use this happend and it has grown. also on other sites I have visited they have a links page where members can find other MN sites why can't this site be added to some of these. that way is open to a larger number of ex MN personal some sujestions :-- MN looking for old friends--All At Sea-- Vindicaterix Ass--Gravesend Ass-- Ships Nostelgia etc etc
Many ex seaman will sighn on various sites I for one have but my computer skills are not good so limit my participation on a sight
Best Wishes
George

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009 10:05 

Hi ED
Thanks for the reply also for your efforts in attempting to keep the home open. It's very sad to see a MN Site go under a little like watching a ship slip under the sea, but sadly these thing happen.
Regards
George
PS
A Fond Farewell to all you old members I hope we meet again somewere out there in syber space
George :cry: :cry:

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009 21:18 

Hi George.
Very well said, but thats the way of life sad as it is, hope to see you around look after your self.
Reg.

Thaithyme

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009 10:52 

rbrewr wrote:
Hi George.
Very well said, but thats the way of life sad as it is, hope to see you around look after your self.
Reg.

Thanks Reg I have noticed that a couple of the Lads are posting on the MN looking for old friends site, which is anouther site I enjoy but I still hope this one will have a last minute repreive, dosn't look like it but you never know?? some one out there might like to give it a try. You take care
George

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009 19:11 

I know I did`nt post much, my sentiments are the same as Samsettes, the sheep followed and thats that. Thanks alot for trying to refloat the home, Ernie.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 18 Jan 2009 04:31 

^This will be my last reply to the Sailors Home.
I would like to thank all the members that helped me in the early days with many unsolved Genealogy issues one in particular which was a 60 year old unsolved death of a merchant navy cook back in 1946 which the Sailors Home helped me solve to the utter delight of his family members. It's the knowledge of these ex sailors that is going to fade away for ever, which make's me fll so sad.
Regards Reg.

Thaithyme

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009 09:09 

Well Lads Ed has thrown the lifeline so the chance is there. With all the losses the site is bound to change in my opinion that would be preferable to seing it go under, and feel sure with time others would come aboard, if the few of us that have registerd start posting
George

Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009 11:12 

I am have been very busy setting up a new computer support forum for students from the class where I teach computing, I haven’t been here for ages but yesterday I decided to have a last look around before it closed and it was then I read the posts expressing the very feelings I was feeling.
I felt a real heel because I was the one who lost interest in The Sailors’ Home and decided to move on but I couldn’t find any member of the site, with enough computer literacy, to take up the reins until I got chatting with Eddie Symons and he volunteered to give it a go, however I had lost the required documentation for handover and so it was a matter of closing the board and re-starting it in Eddies name and I think that caused the all the VNC’s.

I read Eddies post today and Georges post and I am here to say I will contribute to the site providing Eddy keeps it open? I start teaching again on February 5th but I am hoping with the new forum Woodlupine Computer Place running I won’t be doing many house calls; I’ll keep looking in on this site to see what’s happening and take it from there?
tonydw

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009 14:03 

That is good news Tony and I will do what I can but I'm not a story teller and woulden't hold a candle to some of the old hands
that seem to of left the site or for that matter some that have stayed on. I just hope that the site can be reserected so that MN men and woman past or present can exchange views tell a story etc or even meet Old and New friends. (fingers crossed)
George

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009 23:35 

I am not too computer wise but if we are still going I will try my best I`ll look through my old discharge books there is some yarns I could tell. Harry has found us again, he tells some good yarns he makes you feel you are with him. Ernie.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009 00:31 

George wrote:
Well Lads Ed has thrown the lifeline so the chance is there. With all the losses the site is bound to change in my opinion that would be preferable to seing it go under, and feel sure with time others would come aboard, if the few of us that have registerd start posting
George

Hi. George, Tonydw and all the other's that are reading this Topic. How about backing up ED and TonyDw, I shall start Posting again, how about other's doing the same, this I am sure of "If we don't " Ed will have to close the site once and for all. He is giving the Sailors Home one last chance, Lets Take It!!
Reg.

Thaithyme

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009 01:53 

Got a call off Ed a little while ago and mate I've put notices on couple of Merchant Navy sites, mainly British ex-pats here in OZ.
Fingers x'ed mate! :idea:

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009 09:52 

Hey All this is great news
George

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009 11:21 

sailorsymo wrote:
I received a call from Anthony last night and he seemed very positive re the sailorshome, so today I am going to advertise the site on other Merchant Navy sites so I am interested in any MN Websites ... if you know of some let me know.
Lets fan the spark, as George says we will get new members.
Ed

Hi Ed
hear are some sites that may be worth trying to link with = The Red Duster- Merchant Navy Association- Merchant Navy looking for Old Friends- Ships Nostelgia- Vindicatrix Association- All At Sea. There are others but I have just taken thiese of the top of my head so to speek, I hope this will help.
George

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009 00:20 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
I hope that you take this the right way about the forum. What I noticed is that the font seems to be a bit on the small side plus the background colour does not help. As a lot of the members are getting on and eye sight problems do occur I was thinking that this could be a reason for the poor membership. I only say this to bring it to your attention and I am not up with all the tech bits that are in involved and it might be that it is not possible to alter it. The only change we can do is to alter the font on this page to large which I have just done and will see the results after posting this. Thanking you. Les

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009 22:50 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Thank you for that answer and I will await to see if there is any one else that think along the same lines as myself. Do not want to be seen as signing on and wanting to change things around. Would never have worked at sea and will not work here either as I would soon be pulled into line by fellow ship mates. Les

MY GALLERY COLLECTION