It is currently 18 Nov 2017 23:17

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: old salt
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 15 May 2013 17:54 

Sailed with Cunard 1966 Christmas to New York aboard MV Ivernia, stayed with her for just over 6 months then went to the med MV Karnak, far east with Blue Funnel Autolycus 1968 my May 18th birthday the day we left China, Shell tanker August September 1968[ I forget the name as I do not have my discharge book anymore] Venezuela, States Dutch Antilles, Trinidad-[Porto Spain], A couple of trips to Monrovia for Iron Ore , a couple of trips from Whitehaven to Casablanca for phosphates, the Cunard ship Samaria or Saxonia? to the states, A ship to the states carrying cars and a train on deck, I think it was a train used during the war as a command train, I think it was going to Texas for a tour, crazy trip as it was due to take 9 days from Liverpool to Jacksonville but took 22 days due to some wild weather from a hurricane, carried grain back from Baltimore right at Christmas time got home for new year. Left in 1972 for a landlubber adventure to the states and Canada where I settled until now. Could not get the sea out of my veins so after trying many jobs from Logging [ shades of Monty Python] to carpenter I bought an old fish boat Ft 34 in 76 and spent a year fixing her up and went fishing for Halibut and Cod then in 86 bought a larger vessel 41ft and spent the past years fishing for Prawns and doing some Salmon packing up and down the coast of BC. Sold one of my licences and retired the boat to the farm where she now sits since last fall, the final trip down the highway on board a flat deck trailer behind a semi truck was an old recurring dream come true ever since I did my first wheel turn in Philadelphia back in 67 under a pilot when I thought we were going to sail right into town before he said hard a port as we swung around and laid against the wharf. Now enjoying being retired spending my days doing volunteer work running a stream stewardship group and I even found time to go back to the local uni to become a fisheries biologist and still do a little paid work up and down the coast flying around via helicopter and sea plane. Going out fishing for fun and dinner in a small 14 foot boat when the weather is fine, after all my days spent in rough weather I may have become a little shy as I seem to like those nice long days when the Salish Sea is flat calm or just light to variable winds. She can blow up pretty fast out front when an SE wind comes with big swells not too bad on the 41 footer but in a 14 foot tin boat you have to pick your days and lately the NWest winds have been stronger than normal with a vicious steep chop, my friend had his boat roll over on him a few years ago in a 70+ Nor Wester just as he began his turn to find shelter in Rainbow channel outside Nanaimo BC, relatively sheltered waters but it must have gusted just as he started to turn to port and rolled him over, no one hurt and the boat was saved. Going to run the tractor this day and plant some more spuds then if she comes down out to check the crab traps this afternoon. I wish everyone fair sailing no matter where you are and remember that life is like the weather constantly changing.

Post subject: Re: old salt
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 15 May 2013 18:57 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
Welcome Bukwis to our humble site, sit yourself down and have a cold one, nice write up of yourself.
:drunk2: ;wel2 ;wel2 CheersW.gif there in
Geoff

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 15 May 2013 21:55 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Great to hear about your life at sea mate and like a lot of us it seems that there is something about being at sea that sticks in one's memory like shite to a blanket. Not so much about who or what we sailed with but just something about the aura of the whole package. Had to have a laugh hearing about you now going out in a tinny (Aussie expression for aluminium boat) and keeping a weather eye out. Mate of mine explained a little joke he used to play on others fishing and maybe you can tell me if this would be true. He would take a bag of oranges out with him and offer them around but not eat any his self. He said what happened was that the citrus juice would taint the bait and the fish would be repelled and he would end up the only one catching fish and of course winning the prize at the end of the day.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 16 May 2013 08:45 
Bosun

Custom: The Caped Crusader
welcome to the site Mate.
Enjoy
Ron the batcave

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 16 May 2013 08:53 
Site Admin

hello bukwis and welcome matey to our mess-like forum. that is a wonderful intro from you too.
if you have any pics to share we have a gallery, the button to get there is in the bar above. register with your ID there to view some good images.
;wel2 yacht:

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 20 May 2013 19:41 
Global Moderator

Custom: Token Fleamale
Welcome, bukwis :steer:
nice to see a new face and the wonderful intro you gave. hope to hear more from you and maybe see some pictures of your neck of the woods :thumbsupp:

Vikki

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 21 May 2013 20:40 

A tinny you say yes all 14 feet of her, not too bad in a swell but you have to be sea wise. As for fishing and Oranges we have no problem catching fish though the competion is tough with my 10 year old nieghbour who comes out once in awhile though I am already 3 cod up on him this year, two nice big Ling cod [ 10+ pounds] and a nice big Greycod around 6 to7 pounds, wieghts are estimates from experience as they get filleted almost right away so we can use the carcass for bait in the Crab traps.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 21 May 2013 22:54 

Custom: That is the way the mop flops
Kids do it all the fecking time mate. Took the son fishing of a bridge one day and everyone there was saying that nothing was being caught then of course the son cast his line and caught a good fish straight away. Did not stay much longer after that with all the looks he was getting. Was only around 7 years old at the time and one angler commented that the fish had committed suicide where the another said I wish to christ one would do the same on my line. Just one of millions of fishing tales that are around.

MY GALLERY COLLECTION

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 24 May 2013 09:32 
Site Admin

Custom: The Farter
Les m8 its the citrus acid on your hands that you transfer to the bait that the fish dont like, there's another one about never having banana's on a boat.
Yep its the kids that always show you up, first time i took my gson fishing he caught a 2 1/2kg kahawi ( sea salmon you call them over the ditch) on a cheap and nasty $10 rod/reel set up. #$#@#$#@

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]