It is currently 20 Nov 2017 18:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 19:05 

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and hope someone will be able to help me with questions. I'm doing research on my family, my Grandfather's family. He came to NY from Sweden. He was a sailor, as was his father, and both his brothers. My question surrounds my Great-Grandfather, Carl Erik Thunqvist, from Oskarshamn, Sweden. He died in a shipwreck in Feb 1889, off the coast of England when my grandfather was only 2 months old. I've been able to find an old newspaper article, and have the following information:
The ship was a schooner called Signe
1/2 owned by the captain, Adrian Petersson, of Oskarshamn.
The ship was 160 tons, and was built by shipbuilder G. Thoren at Northern Shipbuilding Yard in 1876 for Captain R Olsson, who later sold it. The article said the ship was built of oak and fir and was a beautiful ship.
The ship was in Hartlepool, England where it was loaded with coal, heading toward Göteborg, Sweden. The ship left early February, and was never heard from again. An envelope was found approx 300 miles from Hull, containing billing and invoices from the Signe. The article was written in April, and stated the ship was considered lost with all hands.
I'm hoping to be able to find a photo or drawing of the schooner, and perhaps find if there was any newspaper articles written in England about the wreck. Would anyone here know where I should look? Thanks.
Diane Y.

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 09:08 
Site Admin

hello dianeY and welcome. i hope that you find some links to your questions and on those linksi hope that some members will be of assistance to you, i for one will search too.
please feel free to post any more qustions.

GiffGaff free sim cards unbeatable payGo tariffs
Click here

Sailor's Home@facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]